Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Casa Grande Triathlon

Last Saturday Andrew and I finished the Casa Grande Triathlon.  Andrew did it in 2009 and I did it in 2010 but this was our first time together.  We were getting all competitive with each other while training for this race until the last month when Andrew kept getting sick.  He really probably shouldn't have raced but he did and I'm proud of him!

The #1 picture has become a race tradition.
We couldn't have done this race without support from my family.  Julie and James came to take pictures and watch Zara.  My mom and Ruth watched Elliot and Avery at home.
It turns out this year had half the competitors than both the other years we raced.  We're wondering if triathlons were a fad a couple years ago and fizzled out since then.  Either way, it was great to get into the heated pool sooner this time.
Almost every race I do is a little bit different than the others.  For example, even though I'd already done this triathlon before this was the first triathlon I've done while still breast feeding.  It was difficult racing with the extra weight and that swimsuit was so tight (especially on top) but I was up for the challenge!
I surprised myself by beating my personal record by exactly 6 minutes with a time of 1:27:38.  This time my swim and bike were faster but my run was faster last time.  The great thing is, I know there's still room for improvement for next year!
James' brother and sister-in-law, Aaron and Andrea, did the triathlon in 2010 so it was great to see them at the race again.
Andrew had a lot of asthma problems during the race so I'm so proud he didn't give up.  He's a great example to me.
We did it!
If you're thinking about doing a triathlon this is a good one for beginners.  The swim is in a pool, it's only a sprint distance but there is also a duathlon, it's very family friendly, it's one of the least expensive triathlons, and the competitors include all ages, body types, and levels of experiences.
My next race is the Turkey Trot so now I plan to focus on increasing my running speed and continue loosing weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment